Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Rest in peace, Michael

"Firemen never die, they just burn forever in the hearts of the people whose lives they saved." ~Susan Diane Murphree

Michael passed away today.

There is pain no more for Michael.

His suffering has ended.

I ask that God bring him safely home and be with his family and friends to bring them comfort. Michael is at peace.

It is difficult to not be sad. He was such a young man at 23. My heart aches for his family and friends for the loss they feel. My heart aches for all who knew him and for those who didn't have the opportunity to know him.

When a loved one dies it can feel as though something dies within our own hearts. A cloud covers our hearts and our eyes fill with tears. A physical ache that overpowers every other emotion and turns our lives upside down. This is hopefully temporary.

We try not to mourn his loss but instead celebrate his life. He was such a happy guy.
Renee Breun and I went down to visit him yesterday. He was surrounded by family. His room in ICU was over flowing with those who love him.


Wednesday, November 12 seemed like a good day to die for Michael.


"Angels descending, bring from above,
Echoes of mercy, whispers of love."
~Fanny J. Crosby



Peace.

p.s.

Michael did not die in the line of duty. But he is still a firefighter. This is for you Michael:


The Fireman's Prayer


When I am called to duty, God,

Whenever flames may rage;

Give me strength to save some life,

Whatever be its age.

Help me embrace a little child

Before it is too late

Or save an older person

From the horror of that fate.

Enable me to be alert

And hear the weakest shout,

And quickly and efficiently

To put the fire out.

I want to fill my calling

And to give the best in me

To guard my every neighbor

And protect his property.

And if, according to my fate,

I am to lose my life,

Please bless with your protecting

My children and my wife.

- Author Unknown

3 comments:

Denyse said...

Michael was a rock. No mom should ever have to say good bye to their child. He held his family together and he still will. He was a gift never to be forgotten just regifted by sharing his life and stories. We are all saddened. It leaves a hole in our hearts! We love you Laura and all your family! May he be at peace and hopefully they have a big lake in heaven so he can catch all their fish!

Unknown said...

To all of Michael's family and friends
Remember, you are only seperated from Michael by the number of days you have left on earth. Then you can rejoice together forever without pain--only love.

mlcslkmn said...

MY mother told me 11 yrs ago, your not suppose to bury your kids,well today I know how she felt.
Michaels heart stopped today around 3 pm,yes angel I was there,where were you?
Thank you everyone for your kind words,support and most of all, the care you felt for my son.
Michaels dad..