Monday, November 24, 2008

Granola bars and cheese

I have come to the conclusion that I have a new pet. Despite valiant efforts to remove the flying squirrel from my house, he has defied them all. He has decided to stay. And why would he want to leave? He has an ample supply of food and it is toasty warm inside.

I am convinced he has learned to open and close the cupboard and refrigerator doors. We started finding granola bars in his nesting area on Saturday morning. Whole granola bars. Where he got them, we do not know. All of our snacks and cereal items have been placed in sealed plastic totes. And, actually, we have not had that kind of granola bars for a couple of weeks. So, either he found a stash somewhere in the house that I am unaware of, or he is going to the grocery store and buying his own to bring home and store up for the winter.

This morning, I found individually wrapped cheese slices in his hiding place. Well, my dog, Anna, found the first slice. The second slice was in his little "house."

The only place we store our cheese is in the refrigerator. The only logical explanation for finding cheese slices in his house, is that he learned to open the refrigerator door. And close it when he is done.

I am ready to set up night vision cameras in my kitchen. I don't have the equipment, but I think it would be very interesting to see how he does it. Perhaps the DNR would like to do a study on this smart little squirrel.

In the mean time, as long as he has made himself a pet, I think we should have a "name that squirrel" contest. My son thinks we should name him Rocky - as in Rocky and Bullwinkle. Bandit comes to my mind.

Feel free to weigh in on the naming of the squirrel. There will be no prizes for the contest. It is just for fun.

Having a flying squirrel as an unwanted pet is unique to say the least. I would prefer that we did not have this critter living with us, but I guess that is not my decision.

Peace.

4 comments:

mlcslkmn said...

Someone in your home is feeding the little B-------d! maybe your son?

Vivian Clark, Messy News Girl said...

I don't think so. At least he says it is not him. I think the little critter can open the refrigerator door. Seriously. Today, he had candy wrappers stuffed in his little house. Now, those candy wrappers could have been left by any one of the several kids we had running around the house all weekend. Of course, my son says, "It wasn't me, Mom!"

Jeanne LaMoore said...

Viv, just face the fact that your hospitality is too inviting! Everyone loves being in your home - even critters. I can't believe Anna hasn't chewed the little guy yet.

Vivian Clark, Messy News Girl said...

I am thinking the little guy has a cold. Today I found a pile of chewed up cough drop wrappers. Just like a little kid sampling chocolates out of a gift box, each one of the cough drops was chewed on a little bit. Like trying the first one and he didn't like it, so he tried the second one, didn't like it and so on. Goofy little flying squirrel. But I am so ready for him to go now.