Monday, January 12, 2009

The Zen of Minnesota

Let's face it. Winter in Minnesota is cold. It is suppose to be cold. We are famous for it. It just hasn't been real cold — or snowy — in a long time.

It is cold this winter. And snowy. Just as the Farmer's Almanac predicted.

We were fortunate to have a bit of a warm pattern the last week. But are now in the midst of a cold snap we Minnesotans like to say when there are a few days in a row that are below zero. The further below zero we go, the more like Minnesotans we become. We brag about how cold it is here. In reality, I don't much care for it. But this is where I live, so I make the most of it.

I don't hide indoors. In fact, I am outside a lot in the winter. But right now, I am paying a bit of a price for spending so much time outside last weekend. While most parts of my skin were covered up, my face was almost entirely exposed - for 13 hours on Saturday and about 10 hours on Sunday. Now, my skin is dry, itchy and windburned. I am going to do a story on winter skin care so you can find out how to treat yourself better than I did. And that is my job. To inform the public. So watch for that story in the next couple of weeks.

There are a few things you can do to prepare for the cold:

1) move
2) hide
3) just bundle up and enjoy the ride

Okay, maybe "enjoy" should be replaced with "endure."

I am outdoors a lot all year round. Summer is good, although a bout with melanoma now requires sunscreen of SPF45 or higher all the time.

I do not like to be cold. But I like snow. And snow sports: skiing, snowshoeing and snowmobiling. So, I have learned a few things about trying to stay warm.

Hint No. 1: Cover up! Exposed skin can get burned in more ways than one. I always use SPF45 moisturizer on my face -- year round. And I try really hard not to get sunburned. But right now, after a weekend shoot outside, I am windburned. And my face hurts. Although it really wasn't that cold this weekend, (until the sun went down) I should have covered up my face more to protect from the wind.

Hint No. 2: Layers. You can always take clothes off, but if you are out and about it is often hard to find an extra clothes. Unless you are out shopping. But if you are on a trail of any kind somewhere in the middle of nowhere, it might be hard to find an extra layer.

Hint No. 3: Cotton is not good in the winter. Not in the cold outside anyway. I will not give up my Egyptian cotton 600-thread count sheets but I won't wear cotton next to my skin in the winter.

Here's the deal: while cotton does absorb moisture - like from sweat - it traps it in the cotton. The last thing you want is to be wearing a wet shirt walking outside when it is 20 below zero. Or even 20 above. If you are going to perspire while outside, don't wear cotton.

There are a lot of good alternatives. For nature lovers, go wool. May I suggest SmartWool. It is by far my most favorite brand. It is soft, not itchy, it is thin, warm and wicks away moisture. SmartWool comes in socks (of all weights for all activities) and underwear in tops and bottoms. It is a tad bit on the pricey side, but well worth it if you want to stay warm.
It is actually a blend of wool and polyester - at least the socks are. I will have to check the label on my underwear. But the great thing about the socks is they don't fall down and bunch up in your boots in the arch of your foot.

There are several good synthetics available, too. Polypropylene is a good choice for long underwear. Again, also thin and wicks away moisture. Several brands of that are available, too.

Silk is a good insulator, too. If you just need a thin layer, long silkies are a good choice. Ultra thin and warm. Although, not as warm as wool.

Hint No. 4: wear a hat. Not just earmuffs. Who cares if you get hat-hair. Everybody will be sporting that wonderful "bedhead" look - unless of course you are bald - when you take your hat off. Or just get a cute hat and don't take it off.

The hat hint comes with mittens and/or gloves. Although mittens are much warmer than gloves, sometimes you need to use your digits individually. And it is harder to drive wearing mittens than it is wearing gloves.

Hint No. 5: Don't stick your tongue on anything metal. I have a super funny story about a personal experience I had in kindergarten on that very subject. It involves a dare from my brother, Christmas Eve church service and my little ruffled bottom tights. But that is another story. Maybe a column. Maybe not. But I teasingly tell my brother I will never forgive him for that. Truth is, it is funny now. And I learned something from the experience. I'll never stick my tongue on anything metal in the middle of the winter again.

There you have a few hints. Add some of your own tips to stay warm in the next few days.

So, yes, it is cold here. And there is really nothing we can do about it. And in the words of Buckaroo Bonsai remember: "Wherever you go, there you are."

Peace.


No comments: