Monday, January 19, 2009

It's time


"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better. They fight for honor at the first challenge, make love with no moral restraint, and they do not for all their marvelous instincts appear to know about death. Being such wonderfully uncomplicated beings, they need us to do their worrying." ~ George Bird Evans, Troubles with Bird Dogs


My husband called me at work this morning to let me know it's time. Time to say good-bye to our old dog, Bob.

My husband has taken care of some essential details.
He has made the appointment. Dr. Debbie will be at our house tonight.
He has dug a spot in the woods by our house next to our beloved old Zeke who preceded Bob in death about 12 or 13 years ago.
He has Bob's favorite blanket ready to go with Bob.
He has made arrangements for a funeral service. He has set up our portable Weber fire pit so we can all say good-bye in warmth. And Bob loved hanging out with us by the fire.
Everything is in order.

But it is very difficult for me. How do you really prepare yourself to say a final good-bye to one who has given you years of unconditional love? Who listens to your every complaint and looks at you with big brown eyes saying, "It's okay. Just pet me and you will be fine." ?? Who listens to you when you are sad and doesn't try to figure out why you are sad, he just loves you for who you are?

It is going to be hard for my son. He has never had to experience the pain of losing a dog. The deaths of our bird and even his goldfish were almost unbearable for him. This, this is going to be very traumatic. My son loves his pets as much as they love him. Bob has been with my son every step of his 12-year life.

Bob was a high spirited pup until he was at least 6 — probably longer. He wasn't trained very well. That is not his fault, but ours. He was very stubborn and didn't listen unless we said, "Hungry?" or "Go for a walk?" And he drooled a lot.

But he loves us. And we love him.

Bob had a specially difficult time last night. He needed to go out about 2 a.m. so my husband let him out. He did his business and then in the way many dogs do, Bob started to wander away. He laid down in the snow and gave up, my husband said.

But my husband wouldn't let Bob give up like that. I think because he wasn't ready. He carried Bob back into the house and laid him down on his dog bed. He looked at Bob and I knew what he was going to say next.

"I know. It's time," he said.

I went back to bed and prayed that Bob would pass away in his sleep. But when I woke up, I heard the thumping of his tail hitting the floor as he wagged good morning, to each of us.

I started to cry.

The scientific description of man's best friend is a canine. From that came the word dog. I can only imagine that is simply because dog spelled backwards is God. And as far as I know, God is the only other that can love people — all people — so unconditionally.

The biggest problem with having a dog is that they don't live nearly long enough. But I am certain Bob will be in dog heaven before dinner time tonight.

It is hard to say good-bye to one of your best friends.

I'm leaving work early today. It will certainly be a tough drive home.

But it is time.

Peace.


"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." ~ Robert Louis Stevenson

No comments: