Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Charlie's letter

"A dog is the only thing on earth that will love you more than you love yourself." - Josh Billings



It has been a difficult couple of days. The last few weeks have been hard, actually. Watching the health of my old dog Bob deteriorate. It was time to release him.

Dr. Debbi came out to our house and we were prepared. Physically. Jeff had dug a hole in our little woods and built a fire. He got Bob's hunting sleeping bag ready and spread out by the fire. Jeff put pheasant feathers and a full wing next to Bob. Hunting was by far that dog's greatest passion. We said good-bye to a dear old friend. Charlie put a piece of string cheese next to him. A favorite treat of Bob's. But when I asked Charlie why he gave him string cheese, he answered simply, "In case he gets hungry on his way to heaven."

Charlie is heartbroken. The tears have not stopped.

I let him stay home from school yesterday so he could mourn the loss of his "brother." And I asked Charlie to write his feelings down to help him cope.

Charlie wrote a letter to Bob. He and Jeff went out to the grave and read it to him later.

This is Charlie's letter to Bob: (with Charlies spelling and punctuation included)

Dear Bob,

Hi, Bob. This is Charlie. I just wanted to write this to you because I miss you so much!

It was Martin Luther King Jr. Day when you got the shot. A special day for a special dog. I told my friends about you. They felt bad. Even after you were gone, I layed next to your body and cried. Now today, January 20, 2009, I am not in school. I needed to get my mind back to normal. And I can't stop thinking about you. I love you so much!


Bob you had a very happy and long life. Filled with joy, playing, sitting together in the yard watching the lake, (if you remember) and some sadness. You were an excellent hunting dog and I wish I could have seen you do it. You and I had a lot of good times together. Playing, teaching me how to walk, walking in the woods with Dad, even teaching me my first words: "No Bob!" and so much more. You even saved my life Bob! When I was younger and I swam out too far, you came out and I hung on to you as you swam back to shore. You kind of taught me how to swim, too. (When you accidentally knocked me off the dock.)


So much fun then you started to get old. You were struggling too much. And you were in so much pain. We had to give you the shot. It was painful for you and us. That night, some things happened. There was so much crying. We put your tag on the (toy) stuffed black lab, and more crying. Daddy said your spirit would sometimes be in the stuffed lab. And remember Kim? She said if I ever needed to talk to you, just close my eyes and reach out in my mind and pet you.

Everyone who knew you will never forget you and will always love you. But most importantly, Mom, Dad, Webe, Anna and I will always love you the most. And will never forget you.

I love you so much, Bob!

Love,


Charlie



Good-bye my friend.

Peace.

5 comments:

Connie said...

Viv, Jeff and Charlie.
I am so sorry to hear about Bob.
He is in a good place, and he can be with Zeek again.
Bob was a one of a kind dog, and no one will ever replace him.
Charlie, that was the best letter ever. I am sending you a great big "Polar Bear Hug".
Talk to you all soon.
Love You, Connie

Jeanne LaMoore said...

Viv,
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sitting here crying, just thinking about Bob and how hard it must be for all of you to not have him there with you. Are Anna and Weebe confused? Big hugs and lots of love to you, Jeff, and Charlie.
Jeanne

MoonDog said...

what a heartbreaking letter. sorry for your loss.

Jackypine said...

Dogs aren't just animals...they become part of our families. That is why letting them go is so hard. Keep telling the Bob stories to each other . . . it helps to remember the memories.
Thank you and Charlie for sharing your love for Bob with us.
Take care,
Jodi S.

Vivian Clark, Messy News Girl said...

Thank you everyone. I truly appreciate your kindness. It is difficult to mourn the loss of a pet. Sometimes, people think it is silly to be so sad for "just a dog." But anyone who has ever had a loving pet, especially one like Bob, knows there is no such thing as "just a dog." It is strange around our house. The dynamics have changed. I never in my wildest dreams wanted to have three dogs and wished at times that I only had one. Now we are down to two and I miss the chaos of the "big 3" -- 12 muddy paws and all.