Monday, August 4, 2008

Mohawks are back?

"Fashion is the science of appearance, and it inspires one with the desire to seem rather than to be." - Henry Fielding


Fashions come and go, I realize that. But I have seen a lot of kids sporting Mohawk hairdos lately. I just have to wonder why?

When I was in high school there was a kid named Wes. He was a little on the unusual side. And quite the entrepreneur. He was always doing something a little crazy. Like the time he showed up at our senior prom dressed as a girl with a guy as his date. Neither one could find a date, apparently. Wes did not make a very attractive girl, and he tried hard not to. They were kicked out. Or should I say asked to leave? But there was some kind of bet involved and I am sure he made a little cash.

Wes was known for having some crazy-fun theme parties. Usually ending up with many kids in his backyard pool — Not always by choice and swimsuits were not required.

He had great toga parties. Everyone had to be in costume. Which went over quite well in the pool later. Or not so well, depending on how you looked at it. And everyone looked. It is hard to swim in a queen size sheet wrapped around your body, just so you know.

But then there was Wes' all time classic-never-to-be-outdone party. He had a Mohawk party. For a $3 cover charge, he shaved his head into a Mohawk. Well, his dad actually ran the razor while the rest of us watched amazed.

I am not sure how much money he made, but there were nearly 600 students in my class and at least half of us were at that party. The picture made the yearbook. I think it was classified as an "extra curricular" activity. I am not sure, though. I would have to look that one up. It was definitely not a school sanctioned activity.

But that was 1980, folks. Mohawks and toga parties were a fascination and certainly a passing trend. I have not heard of a toga party in quite some time. College maybe, but not since then. And I just don't get the Mohawk thing now. I see kids of all ages from 6 to 26 sporting the spiky look, sometimes in dramatically bright unnatural colors like purple or green.

While I can somewhat understand it in kids participating in extreme sports like motocross and back-country radical snowboarding. These kids are usually older and most likely made the decision on their own with or without parental permission.

But the 6-year-old with the purple Mohawk must have had parents like Wes. Parents are responsible for what their children look like in public until they are at least 18-years-old, or have a job and can pay for their hair cuts themselves. Well, that is what I tell my 11-year-old. Who by-the-way, desperately needs a haircut as far as I am concerned. He has about 3 weeks to wear it long and then will get the new school 'do whether he likes it or not.

Apparently Mohawks are a fashion that will never go out of style — they just look ridiculous year after year.

Peace.

"Fashion is what you adopt when you don't know who you are." - Quentin Crisp

p.s. In case you are wondering, my trip to the dermatologist resulted in another biopsy, which turned out to be benign. I'm good to go for another three months.

No comments: