Monday, August 11, 2008

It's the people

“Life is partly what we make it, and partly what it is made by the friends we choose.” Tennessee Williams


The cool thing about people is that they are all different. People watching at We Fest is about as good as at an airport. Only most people at We Fest are wearing less clothes and have had more to drink.

We could start with the outfits, or lack thereof. But I think that goes without saying. Just think of a festive crowd spending all day outdoors in the hot summer sun listening to music, doing a little dancing, enjoying some good food and a lot of beverages. As the day progresses, I think it is more than just tequila that makes some clothes fall off.

Of course, there are a few genuine cowboys (and girls) walking around in their Wranglers or Levis sporting a shiny belt buckle. Some of the buckles are genuine PBR series - and I don't mean Pabst Blue Ribbon. The buckles attach to a belt that actually holds their pants on without showing any underwear. It is nice to see jeans that fit well. Of course, they have on real boots, that have maybe spurred a horse or two. You can just tell by the way they walk.

I like talking with people. All kinds of people. And in the process of trying to sell them a pair of super soft elk skin or ostrich boots, I sometimes learn a whole lot more about their personal lives than I had really intended. Most of the people I will never see again. Some I know will be back. Some I hope will.

There was Nick from Little Falls. He has been coming to We Fest for many years, four I think he said. He is seasoned. He is 22, has two brothers and a half sister. He has had three pairs of boots in his life. He is now going on four.

Another young man, unfortunately I don't remember his name, but he said his grandfather passed away not to long ago. He was given his grandpa's old Tony Lama boots that he wore nearly everyday of his life, at least what this young man could remember. He never saw his grandpa in any other boot or shoe. The boots had been re-soled many times, but recently, he just let them wear out. The boots had holes on the sides where his toes and managed to wear down the old cowhide. Not unlike the old man himself, I imagined. People, like boots, sometimes just wear out. I imagine those boots told a story of many miles walked and hard days at work.

This young man is saving his grandpas boots. They are going on a shelf — left all tattered and worn just they way his grandpa left them — in tribute to the old cowboy. Now, this young man bought himself his first pair of Tony Lama boots from us. He hopes his will last for many years as well. And when they are as worn and broke in as his grandpas, they are going on the shelf next to grandpa's old boots.

Putting on a pair of boots just makes you walk a little taller and take on a little strut. I

People say the darndest things. My cousin Joe and I were sitting outside the shack just relaxing between rushes and watching people. Some young kids sat down next to us. The boy was 21 and was having a good time. We talked for a while and then he said, "I hope when I am your age I am still out here having as much fun as you guys are. And you look pretty good for someone in your age category, too."

Hmm... I asked him how old he thought I was. "You look 35 and he looks 37." Not too bad we both thought. As we are somewhere in that age category -- give or take a few years.

There was a group in the VIP campground who were a lot of fun. "Why Curt?" But why not Cameron?

Jen and I were able to go backstage a couple more times. While I like watching the performers from back there, I am also very interested in what goes on behind the scenes.

The entire stage is probably bigger than our entire office building at the Messenger. What the people see from out front, is only about half of it. It takes a lot of people to put on a show — any show. Think of any plays you did in high school and how many stage crew people you had working. Now multiply that by top recording artists, their bands, their sound guys, their roadies, their light guys and whomever else they need.

Then the We Fest production crew is there as well, making sure that the other crews have everything they need. It is simply amazing.


There is this little corner on the west side of the stage where all of the equipment is. I like to hang out there when I am allowed the privilage of being on stage. This is where the sound guys are. And believe me the sound is just about as good as it gets in that corner.

One small section has a couple of chairs crammed in between equipment cases. On several occassions during the performances I found a couple of crew members catching a few winks. That is totally understandable. You see, I suppose when you are a stage crew, you have seen a gazillion performers. You have done your job setting up and need to wait to tear down to be ready for the next performer. This goes on all day long for them and after the last act of the night, which usually ended around 1 a.m., their work is still not done. They have to be ready for the next day to do it all over again.

Those guys work hard. And I noticed that their work does not go unnoticed by those who depend on them. The performers thank them, and the production staff, like Tom and Kitty Kat, thank them. It all looked pretty genuine to me.

It's the people.


The performers are real people. I was most impressed by Little Big Town and Sugarland. They seem so nice to the fans and all of their crew. Each time there needed to be a guitar switch, the guy thanked his helper with a smile and a nod or a wink. And went on to perform and give that same smile and wink to the fans.

After their shows, they walked around backstage and through the VIP campgrounds like they were just ordinary people. Not snobs who thought they were too good for the campers. I think that was also a tribute to the fans at We Fest. They didn't mob them, or run screaming towards them. They walked up casually and asked if they could have their picture taken or get an autograph. Oh, I am sure some fans might have been a little worse, but for the most part, that is what I saw.


I was a fan of Billy Ray Cyrus in the 90s. He was cute, and he had that mullet thing going on. I must say, that he is still pretty cute. Afterall, he is in my age category. (he is one year older than I am.) I prefer the no-mullet look he carries now and the view from backstage was fabulous. Oh, and he sounded great, too.

It's the people.

I will miss seeing the families and friends of all of our vendor neighbors. I can't possibly mention them all, but you all are fabulous neighbors.

Even though time goes on and we go to our own little places in the world, we know we will be together again. We may think back to our week at We Fest and a tear may fall or the smile may spread wide across our face. No matter where this crazy world takes us, I don't think anything will ever change so much to the point where we're not all still friends.

So, to all of my new and old We Fest friends, Thanks, again. I had a great time. See you next year.

Peace.

No comments: