Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Addicted to texting

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
- George Bernard Shaw


So the new law went into effect in Minnesota this past week. No more texting while driving.

While I almost hate to admit it, I have driven and texted at the same time before. I have even — once, just once — been driving, talking on the cell phone with one person using the hands free head set, and texting another person. Not the smartest thing to do.

So, no more. I admit it is a bit of a distraction. Not just while driving, but all the time. I have friends whom I don't even talk to anymore. We stay in touch on a daily or weekly basis and never say a word. We just text.

We can even send and receive photos to one another by phone, so there is really no reason to have to actually meet people in person. I can actually shop with my girlfriends in three different cities at one time and we are not even connected to the Internet! Here's how it works: I can take a picture with my cell phone of any item I am looking at or thinking about buying. Put it in a text message and send it off to one of my friends. With photos attached to the text message, I'll send a text like: , "What do you think of these shoes?" with the photos attached. Or, "do you think mom would like this blanket?" or even, "do these jeans make my butt look big?"

As good girlfriends always do, they will text me back with all the right answers and advice. Even if I don't want to hear it.

But no more texting while driving. I have been going through some withdrawal symptoms. But I am getting better. It is one day at a time right now. It has been a difficult, albeit safer week on the road.

At least for now, anyway, I can still talk on the phone. I use a hands-free device that usually makes me sound as though I am talking under water with a bucket on my head. I try not to talk about anything too serious or stressful and if I need to take notes, I pull over.

But still, talking on a cell phone while driving is also a distraction. I might try ot give that up, after I recover from no more texting.

And I can still text and shop. For now.


Peace.

No comments: