Friday, February 29, 2008

Here comes the sun

No worries today.

The procedure went just fine yesterday. What a great team of professionals at the Brainerd Lakes one-day surgery center. Special thanks to a great nurse, Theresa, who kept me in stitches. Well, she had me laughing a lot and I hope the sutures stick!

Of course, special thanks to my surgeon, the docs. And all the rest of the team, too.

The anesthesiologist came in and gave me a little squirt of happy juice and I don’t remember anything until the nurse asked if I wanted to see what they took out of my arm. So, as far as I know, everything went smoothly.

The nurse showed me what it was. It was pretty cool, but kind of gross in a way, to see a chunk of my flesh in a jar. It was weird, now that I think about it more rationally. Since they went from the top surface of the skin, all the way down to the muscle and just took that piece out, like a puzzle.

I now have a divot in my arm and an incision about 2 to 2-1/2 inches long. But the body is an amazing thing and it will heal itself and fill in that divot soon enough with healthy cells I all the right layers.

As for my cool looking scar, I haven’t taken the bandages off completely, yet. I am not suppose to for 48 hours. I just took a little peek. (I couldn’t resist!) But I think the doc just made a straight-line incision. Nothing fancy.

I will follow up with a visit to an oncologist next week and am anticipating a glowing report.

For now, I am not suppose to do any heavy lifting – nothing over 9 pound – with my right arm for 10 days to make sure the incision heals. So I cleaned out my purse and got it down to about 7-1/2 pounds. If I don’t save 1,000 receipts and 10 bucks in coins, I should be good for the next 10 days.

Thanks to my sister and her husband who brought me dinner and lots of love last night. One word of caution, wine and happy juice don’t mix too well. Or they do. It is a matter of how you look at it.

So, keep the positive energy flowing my way. Thanks to all.

Here comes the sun! I’ll keep you posted.

5 comments:

Sarah and Parish said...

You are in my continued thoughts and prayers...so sorry that you have to go through this, but it looks promising!

Take care and hope to see you soon!

S. Barten

MoonDog said...

wishing you well! good thing you didnt get a creative surgeon, or you might have ended up with a carving of mona lisa on your arm!

Vivian Clark, Messy News Girl said...

Thank you everybody for your positive energy. Keep it coming! Your posted comments and emails have been great. Thanks. Gosh, I didn't even know anybody read this blog! Thanks!

No, I didn't get a mona lisa on my arm, Moondog. Just an angled straight line. I might be able towork with that, tho!

Jeanne LaMoore said...

Viv,
Even when you're struggling with something, you make people smile! I bet your docs and nurses loved working with you. The "divot" sounds a bit scary! I can't wait to see you.
Love,
Jeanne

Anonymous said...

if you wanna get a lightning bolt tat-Me and I'm sure Katie will go with you
t