Friday, March 27, 2009

Calling all angels

"In helping others, we shall help ourselves, for whatever good we give out completes the circle and comes back to us." - Flora Edwards

In less than 24 hours the Traveling Angels will be somewhere between Zimmerman and New Orleans as we continue our mission. We are trying to change the world, one house at a time.

The Traveling Angels are a small group of individuals from mid-Minnesota who believe in extending a helping hand. Some of the group have gone to New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina left her devastating autograph in August of 2005. This will be my third trip to New Orleans since the hurricane and my second trip with the Traveling Angels.

Part of me feels like I should be in Fargo, Moorehead or anywhere along the Red River. I should be sandbagging or rescuing pets. But like a friend of mine said today, "You are only one person, Viv. You can't go everywhere."

The Traveling Angels does disaster relief work wherever we are needed. The group has helped in New Orleans, Cedar Rapids, Hugo, and a few other areas in flood or tornado recovery. Most of us have become rather attached to the city and the people of New Orleans. So far, we have planned an annual trip to continue recovery efforts there. Since it is so far away, we have to plan weeks ahead of time.

The Red River expected to crest sometime tomorrow at 43 feet, we feel we may be headed up north when we return from down south. The flood waters in the valley are expected to last at least a week. Once the waters recede, the real nasty work comes in. That is usually when the Traveling Angels step up, too.

There are a lot of things to consider after the water recedes. There are mold hazards, disinfecting wells, food safety, fuel oil contamination, personal safety issues and other things to think about. The Traveling Angels have been through it all. While it is at times rather unpleasant work during the moment with the smell of mold, stagnant water and memories that have been lost forever stick in your eyes, nose and throat, the reward comes at the end of the day knowing that we have helped.

New Orleans has come a long way, but they still expect years for full recovery. The Traveling Angels are a faith based non-denominational group and we connect with Catholic Charities who provide boarding and the volunteer organizational issues. In other words, they give us a roof over our heads, a place to sleep and dinner, and give us our volunteer assignments.

This year, as it stands right now, we will be once again staying at Hope Haven, which is an old Catholic Mission center. And our assignment (so far) will be painting 425 houses. OK, there are 425 houses to be painted and we hope to at least get one of them done. Like our motto says, we can change the world, one house at a time.

I posted a slide show of New Orleans previous two years. I don't know what happened to the music. It has music to it when I made it, but apparently I did something wrong uploading it to the blog. Anyway, the photos are there. Click on the center of the slide show and then click again for full screen. The pictures tell the story.

You can also check the archives of this blog from July 2008 to read about Cedar Rapids trip last year. There are photos from that trip as well.

So, I will be heading home to pack soon and then ready myself for a long drive. It took us 24 hours and 17 minutes last year I believe. I could be off by a few minutes.

Follow me through my blog and I might post to Twitter from my phone while out and about. It would be great to have you tag along.

"We are, each of us angels with only one wing; and we can only fly by embracing one another." -- Luciano de Crescenzo


Peace.

2 comments:

Jodi Schwen: aka, Jacqueline Pine Savage @jackypine said...

Hi Viv! Thanks for updating the blog...and yes, I want a full report when you return. Blessings and safety as you work! Jodi

Vivian Clark, Messy News Girl said...

Thanks, Jodi!
I have been posting to my Face Book page, too. I upload photos and comments from my phone right at the sites! Pretty cool. I'll call you when I get back!
Peace.