Monday, April 7, 2008

almost there

Blog 3

Driving into Louisiana on I-55 was pretty amazing. The bridge over the edgewaters, or whatever they are called is miles long. Not the 24-mile bridge that goes straight across the middle, but there is a bridge (I-55) that sort of skirts the western edge. To the right, or east was an area that appeared to be like a wildlife preservation area, or state park back home, with a few major exceptions.

There is first, water. Everywhere. But with trees growing out of the water. I believe the trees are called banyan trees mostly. Or something like that. I know there are a lot of those cool looking banyan trees inland, but I am not sure what they are in the water areas. There are also bushes that looked like short palm trees. Some trees are dead protruding out of the water like skeletons dried and old. There are long tangly strands of some organic material hanging from the bony limbs.

Little alleyways of water run through the wooded area. Every once in a while, there was a boat with anglers casting into the shore. Egrets were perched in a few trees close to shore and an eagle perched in another. I could only imagine an alligator swimming down the eerie water way.

Signs hung on the shore every so often say keep out, and no trespassing.

After a while, houses appeared on the shore of this sort of spooky island like area. A good portion of them were on stilts, or appeared to be floating. There were several house boats as well. And a slew of big off shore fishing boats.

It was a feast for my imagination and I had to try to soak it all in. We were driving too fast to take a picture, so I will just have to remember.

No comments: