Monday, April 6, 2009

I am back

Well, I am back from New Orleans. It is apparent that I again, thought I would have all kinds of time to write while down south, obviously I was mistaken. There are only so many hours in the day. We worked hard towards our goal of saving the world, one house at a time. And evenings were busy experiencing down home Cajun everything.

While I have so much to tell you all, for right now I will be brief. The most important lesson I learned on this trip is summed up in a quote. Author unknown to me: "Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."

The people of New Orleans are survivors, but they certainly know how to dance in the rain. The last half of the week we worked in the upper 9th ward -- an area hit hard by flooding and most people are not back in their homes. Those who are living in their homes, are doing so because it is their home. It is their neighborhood. It is their life.

As far as neighborhoods go, this is one that we were warned not to keep valuables in the vehicle, lock the doors and don't go wandering off by ourselves. While we did lock the doors, I never felt threatened by anyone. I didn't wander too far away from our job sight, because we were busy working, but did take every opportunity I could to talk to the neighbors and other local workers.

I just love the people of New Orleans. They are so alive! They are happy. Which brings to mind what my mom has told me since I was a little girl. The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; but they make the best of what they have.

Life goes on in New Orleans and the people continue to dance in the rain.

More to follow with a recap. For now I say...

Peace, baby.



No comments: