Thursday, February 19, 2009

Viv is in the House

So, I am sitting in the "House Gallery" right now as I write. I am shadowing Rep. Gail Kulick Jackson for the day. And it has been a busy day.

Right now she is on the floor busy listening to others discuss their points of view while trying to get their amendments passed.

It is difficult to follow along, actually. I don't have a program. But there is a screen in the corner that says we are on Amendment HDS-015. Whatever that is.

I have to let you know, I have been asked, four times now, to not lean on the ledge to take pictures of the floor. So, here's the deal — besides them calling me "ma'am" which upsets me a bit — they think I might jump or something. There is no humanly possible way for a person to fall over this ledge where I am sitting. I suppose, that might be a stretch, which is exactly what I would have to do to fall over. The ledge is like 2-feet wide with a golden railing on this side. Of course, it is only less than waist high and I suppose that some super uncoordinated person could potentially fall over, but come on.... I am a professional. ;-)

A really nice gal sitting behind me said that they (security?) will come and yell at you if you even touch the gold railing. The only sign in here just says, do not put anything on the ledge. It doesn't say anything about leaning or touching.


So anyway, there are roll calls, advice, rulings, matters of parliament inquiries, and a lot more going on.

They are discussing mandates right now. One rep. said he trusts his county board, another said it's not about trusting anybody simply to amend the rule. I wish I knew what they were talking about. There is a vote right now and Gail pushed a button. Every vote she makes is counted and a matter of record. Everyone can see exactly how she votes on every issue.

I guess I missed the actual number of the house file on that last one. But it took a matter of 15 minutes for the discussion and the vote and now on to H.F. 392. Amendment something that I can't read.

Oh, oh. Here comes that guy with the badge again. I think I leaned too far over.
I am going to have to go for now and sign in later.

BTW, Diane Gibas is shadowing Sen. Lisa Fobbe. She is doing something else right now and Diane came in here to check this excitement out, too. We will break for lunch soon and then on to some other items.

Oh, here he comes... the dude with the little gold badge... the railing officer..

Gotta go.

Peace.

4 comments:

LMC said...

I have read your blogs ... you seem to be perfect. Now I know you think you are a professional. I've read where you say some people think they are above the law. I was at the capital on a tour when I was in grade school. I don't remember anyone having to be told even once to stay back from the rail. Perhaps before you go around judging others, you should take a look at yourself!!!

Vivian Clark, Messy News Girl said...

Dear LMC,

Wow! What a nice complement for you to think that I seem to be perfect. Thank you. However, I know that I am not. Nobody is. I am, however, a professional. I am a professional writer and professional photographer. Since the definition is: following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain. Since I get paid to write and shoot pictures, I am a professional by definition.

Your point, however, is not lost on me. I see the line you have drawn between my past statement that some people feel they are above the law and the fact that I was not following the directions about not leaning on the ledge.

However, there are vast differences in abiding by a "law" for which jail or prison time is a possible punishment, and following spoken directions that could at best result in my being asked to leave a building.

I admit, I was not very good at following the spoken directions. After all, the dude did have to come back and tell me several times. I did not actually do it on purpose. The leaning on the railing was a natural thing for me to do. I often lean, or put myself in precarious positions to get a good shot while I am taking pictures. Most photographers — professional photographers — will do that. I have climbed trees, stood on top of buildings, stood in the middle of a highway, stood too close to snowmobiles passing at 110 mph, and racecars spinning out of control on race tracks, stood in waist deep water under a waterfall, sat backwards on a moving motorcycle, hung out the window of a flying helicopter and too far over the edge of a hot air balloon among other situations. That is what photographers will do in an attempt to get the perfect shot. The money shot. It is not always the smartest thing to do. It is just what we do. I did not intentionally mean to dis the security guy. And I did not think I was "above the law." Several people were in the gallery and were also asked several times. But I was not writing about them. I was writing about me. I was admitting to the world that I could not follow directions.

I too, went on a tour of the capitol when I was in grade school. But that was too long ago for me to remember many details. Other than we got to go up to where the golden horses were. And they let us touch them. But, I have a feeling that if I had wanted to look over the railing, I would have done so then, too.

Perhaps you took this particular blog entry a little too personal. Perhaps you were a person to whom I was referring felt you were above the law. I don't know.

But thanks for reading my blogs. And thanks for the compliment.

Peace.

LMC said...

You had to be told more than four times. If you were representing my newspaper in that manner, you would no longer be paid and therefore no longer a professional. Not everyone charged is guilty. As you said no one is perfect, not even police. They lie, cheat, ride backwards on motorcycles and drive drunk. And you, by the way you write, are the judge of all. The key word here is RESPECT. Another word you might want to think about is stupidity.

Vivian Clark, Messy News Girl said...

Dear LMC,

You seem to have a negative attitude about police officers. You feel they lie, cheat and drive drunk. Hummmmm, I wonder where that comes from.

Apparently you have been charged with something and feel you are innocent. I find that interesting.

Can you not see the humor in anything?