Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Jim update: the wonder bread boy

I did have a chance to visit with Jim again. It turns out he was wrong on his prediction of only a day or two. But I can tell he is tired. So very tired.

On Saturday I sat with him for a while and just chatted about nothing in particular. Sometimes that is all it takes.

I met one of his daughters. She has a smile so genuine one can only smile back. Don Kiffmeyer stopped in as well and we all had some good laughs.

Jim was in good spirits and seemed to be at peace.

I stopped by again last night. Jim was sleeping soundly taking in deep breaths. I am not sure if he knew I was there but I held his hand and said a prayer. And told him I loved him. Without opening his eyes, he said it right back.

I met another of his daughters last night, too and had a chance to talk with her and Mary. It is evident his family loves him by the smiles that magically appear when they talk about Jim or tell a story from his life.

They have been busy putting pictures together that represent a life full of memories. I couldn't help but laugh at quite a few of them.

Jim and his family were the original Wonder Bread family spotlighted in newspaper and other ads. That sure got a chuckle out of me.

Seeing pictures of him riding his dirt bike through the river in like the 70's made me laugh, too.

Of course, there were the family photos with the kids -- and Jim -- with 80's hair! Now that Always makes me laugh. Especially when I look at pictures of myself from the 80s. Not a good decade for fashion, but the music is still good.

Jim always told me he had a great life. He did everything he ever wanted to do. He loves cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, planes, and probably everything else with a motor.

He was a pilot and had his own flight school. He scuba dived and fished in many oceans. He loves Corvettes. He loved to travel.

And most of all he loves his family.

I was reminded recently that it is important to not say you love someone unless you really mean it. But if you mean it, tell them often. Because people do tend to forget.

We had some really good times together while he had his health. It is sad for me to realize that through his dying, he has taught me so much about life. And I will never forget him. He is Jim, the Wonderbread Boy!

Peace.

1 comment:

1444bg said...

Thank you so much Vivian, for being with Jim till the end. I know you will miss him, as will I. He was much more than just a brother to me, he was a great friend too. We did many things togeather that he was probably scared to tell you about :) !!! (Just kidding) Once again thanks for being Jims friend.
Bob Gross