Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Small town politics

Reading the comments on the Messenger online regarding DeCoursey's latest move
(See City pays legal bill at

http://www.millelacsmessenger.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=19488&TM=41591.84

When you live or work in a small town it is easy to feel comfortable in your own skin, in your own hood. Sometimes you get so comfortable you forget there is more to the world than what is under your feet or as far as you can see out your window.

And like the song says,
"Every last one, route one, rural heart's got a story to tell, Every grandma, in law, ex-girlfriend, Maybe knows you just a little too well. Whether your late for church or you're stuck in jail, Hey words gonna get around. Everybody dies famous in a small town."


But to the outside world, Isle is looking a little more like a comical made-for-TV-movie.

One of my favorite comments on the web is from "Paul" wherever he is from.

"This story is a prime example of why I love the Mille Lacs Messenger. There is always something good to read, whether its the politics of Isle that have been going on for years and years, or the more recent McGrath issues. or even the stuff with the tribe. The Messenger always has something that makes me chuckle and think, even though its entertaining, I'm glad I don't live up there."
It is entertaining around here sometimes. The sad part is when Paul said he is glad he doesn't live up here.

Actually, I have said I am glad I don't live in Isle myself. I just work here. And I have, on rare occasions, wished I did live in Isle. But just for the wonderful friends I have here. My friend Tammy was baking cookies the other day and enjoying a glass of wine while it was snowing. She had gone skiing in Father Hennepin Park earlier. We were texting and if I didn't live 37 miles away, I would have been able to walk over and join her. OR ski over, even better. As it was, even my little Jeep didn't want to make the trip. It would have been an hour drive each way in the heavy snow. So, we just texted. (Is that a word?)

Every town — big or small — has ups and downs. I live in a small town on the other side of the big lake. Even smaller than Isle but bigger than McGrath. And technically, I don't live in town, so I don't get a vote in the politics of Garrison. There are only 213 people in Garrison. And not very many of them attend the council meetings. But the city attorney is usually at every meeting. The planning and zoning people are usually at every meeting and so is the fire chief, all of the council members, the mayor, a city clerk that is totally amazing, and the city engineer. The council members are not afraid to ask questions or to second guess the mayor or the attorney or the engineer if they think something isn't right.

Sure, not everything runs smoothly in Garrison all of the time. I can remember when the sewer was just a dream (now reality) and when MnDOT talked of the Hwy 169 bypass. Those issues got people a little ruffled. But for the most part, it runs smoothly.

I can assure you that if Mayor John Schley said he wanted the city to cough up nearly $30K for his personal legal fees, Cathy Thompson would put her foot down — or up his hind-end. And so would Pat Charlson and Polly Williams. They would question it thoroughly. While the issue might get tabled until the next meeting where it might get passed, they wouldn't just take John's word. They would question it and think about it before they cost the tax payers that kind of ching.

Pat and Polly have resigned from the council. Both will be missed. They have done well for the town. I hope the new council members, Lori Puente and Matt Beiver will be able to ask questions and speak up. I really don't doubt that they will.

Back to the comments: Mike A. suggests the city sue DeCoursey in a class action suit. He even suggested there is probably no shortage of attorneys out there to take on the case. Maybe he is one of them?

DeCoursey was found not guilty of the crime and had the case expunged. That should have been the end of it. But he is the one who wont let it go.

And maybe he should.

But people, it is time to fight back.

Peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nothing brings out the flavor of sugar cookies like cherry wine(ha-ha) you were here through texting (yes I think that is a word nowadays) I think we could and would get into too much mischief if we lived closer but then we could go for coffee all the time

your the greatest keep up the fun blogs
tammi