Monday, September 22, 2008

Goldfish and groceries

I am not much of a Wal-Mart fan. There are some political reasons, but mostly because I don't get that warm-fuzzy feeling when I walk into the local Wal-Mart — which is only when I have to.

Mostly, I get a creepy feeling. I have only been in the local Wal-Mart a couple of times. Once, I needed a Halloween costume for my son and we had exhausted all other stores in the city. We walked in to Wal-Mart and found the perfect thing for $1.87 and we were out the door. We saved some money and rolled back down the highway.

Another time I was in there, was midnight when I was told in no uncertain terms by a 10-year-old, and 11-year-old and a 13-year-old that we needed bug spray and coolwhip. I know, an odd combination. It was some project the kids were planning for the next day and the mosquitoes had been terrible. We ran out of Off. And the coolwhip was some sort of trap set at their top-secret-kids-only-fort. Anyway, where can you get bug spray and coolwhip at midnight? Yep. Wal-Mart.

There are some odd ducks at that store at midnight. I am sure I looked a little odd myself carrying a combination of bug spray and coolwhip. But I had a logical explanation for those items. I think.

Still, I was a little creeped out by some of the strangeness. I didn't think I would ever go back.

Well, on Friday afternoon, Shark died. He had been one of the 29 cent feeder goldfish I bought my son three years ago. He had definitely outlived his life expectancy, but it was sad for my son nonetheless.

So yesterday, I needed to get a replacement goldfish and some groceries. Where else can you go to get a goldfish and groceries in one stop? Wal-Mart.

I don't know my way around that store at all and went up and down the isles several times looking for my items. I ran into a friend I hadn't seen in a while and met her sister. We laughed and exchanged jello recipes and were on our way.

I saw another familiar face and her daughter, we said "hi" in passing and were on our way.

Seems a lot of people I know shop at Wal-Mart. But I am still not convinced it saves money. Or time. Even for one-stop trips looking for goldfish and groceries.

And then I passed another couple I knew. I smiled. They didn't smile back. I know I am not on their top ten list of favorite people. But maybe they didn't see me and that is ok with me.

Charlie and I had all of the groceries in the cart and had used the instant hand sanitizer several times since we walked in. All we needed was the goldfish. We had to wait 10 minutes for help in the pet department.

We got the fish ($4.98) and waited in line 10 more minutes and we were out the door. Loaded up the Jeep with the stuff and my son was happy with his new fish.

So far, at least this morning, the new fish, named M.T. (kidspeak for Mark Twain (Charlie's favorite story right now) was still alive.

I just don't get that warm-fuzzy feeling from that store.

No comments: