Friday, June 20, 2008

faith in human nature

“I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant.”

- Martin Luther King, Jr.



It has been a while since my last blog. I could tell you that I have been so dreadfully busy that I haven’t had much time. But that would not be entirely honest. While I have been busy, I have also been disenchanted.

I can’t blame it on anyone or anything in particular. There are a lot of issues that contributed to my mundane feelings. With local issues clouding out the seriousness of the bigger world I sort of just threw my hands in the air and gave up. Defeated.

Throughout my life I have, for the most part, been a positive person. Not exactly a Pollyanna but I could find the silver lining in just about anything. When life brings you lemons, make lemonade sort of thing.

People were my biggest issue. I had been tossed so much negativity that even the largest pile of the largest hematite could not deflect.

In this business a person needs some pretty tough skin. I can usually hold my own and don’t take things personally. But I just couldn’t squeeze anything else out of the lemons life had given me. I just came to work, did my job and went home. I could not understand what happened. Boring and mundane is not usually my thing. What is the world coming to?

I needed some fresh air to blow the cobwebs out and start over.

And then I came across a story that restored my faith in human nature. I heard of a family that reached out to young girl and her family, and totally, unconditionally helped them. They helped for no other reason than because it felt right.

You will be able to read the story in an upcoming issue of the Messenger. I hope you will find something in the story that inspires you. Whether it lifts your spirits only a little bit or it inspires you to go out in the world and “pay it forward” I hope you will find someway to connect to it.

The family had the means to help financially. While, unless I win the lottery, I don’t see a major donation to anyone or any charity in my near future. But there are so many other things people like me can do to help.

I will continue to do all I can to keep holding on to what I believe is true. That people really are good. Sometimes you just need to feel temporarily defeated to get your feet planted back on the ground and heading in the right direction.

Peace.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You go girl, I so know how you feel these days. Just rememeber that good people like you and i always take the brunt of the nasty feelings behine d=words the hardest. Why is the people that are good natured always get ie Killed by the bad people

BA said...

Hey Vivian...it's been a while since I popped on your blog and I'm sad to read you're having a tough go of it. Just remember you're good people, and good people are held close and cherished...even if not by those around them too ignorant to notice or understand.

You're in my thoughts. Keep fighting the good fight! :-)
-BethAnn

Vivian Clark, Messy News Girl said...

Thanks, you guys (gals). I appreciate it. Just building stronger shoulders and tougher skin. Kind of funny, isn't it? Me, using a "tough skin" analogy while dealing with melanoma. Funny, actually.

I guess that posting did sound kind of down. But, really I am not. Was just annoyed with people. Some people. And I didn't feel like blogging.

But I am over that. So, watch out world! Messy News Girl is back!

Unknown said...

You go girl

Jeanne LaMoore said...

I love you, Viv! It was great to be up at Borden this weekend. Very beautiful, and a joy to be with beloved family members. We have a lot of blessings to be thankful about!