Thursday, November 15, 2007

Talking turkey

So here I am one week away from the big Thanksgiving dinner. I am hosting the big weekend at my house for 14 people.

I am not totally stressed about it -- yet.

Usually, Thanksgiving is at my mom and dad’s in Bloomington. Or my brother’s house in Jordan, or my other brother’s house in Cannon Falls. I think my sister had it at her house in Maple Grove once.

I am famous in my family for not being the best cook. We never really have to check the smoke detectors at the change of Daylight Savings time, because ours go off pretty much whenever I cook. You know the saying -- that’s how I tell the dinner is done. Unfortunately, it is kinda true at my house. J

It’s not that I can’t cook, I just don’t do it often. There are a few specialty dinners that I can throw together with the blink of an eye. The easy things like salads, (green leafy ones with fresh vegies - not jello salad) homemade pizza, chili, soup, burgers on the grill, hamburger pie and reservations.

My home ec teacher from high school told me all I had to know was how to make one fabulous dinner and just cook that every time I entertain. The same for dessert. And I have pretty much stuck with that theory. I have found the best dinners are prepared with wine. Sometimes, I even put it IN the food.

I am usually the one in the family asked to bring the bean casserole. Or buns. Or, well, the wine. You get the picture. The easy stuff.

I have made a turkey dinner before. But not for several years and not for 14 people.

I am planning on making the turkey, stuffing, smashed potatoes and yams. Everyone else has been given their assignments. I am thinking it should be pretty easy.

My questions have to do with the turkey part. OK, so that is like the main part of the Thanksgiving dinner. But really, all I have to do is put the bird in the oven and relax for the next 6 hours or so, right?

For 14 people, I am thinking I need a 20 pound turkey. And I am suppose to stuff it, too. That is what my brother told me.

I guess I am looking for some suggestions. Like, I am wondering, how long should I cook that bird? Should I cover it? Do I add water? Should I use one of those bags? And do turkeys come with directions? How long do I cook it? I just don’t know.

And any stuffing recipes out there that are simple and scrumptious?

Waiting to talk turkey with you readers. Please offer your suggestions.

Thank you!

4 comments:

Captain Cook said...

Well, Vivian, this will initially be off the top of my head, and then I'll do some research, and get back to you further. You knew I'd be responding didn't you, that I just wouldn't be able to resist?

First make sure that you have a roasting pan big enough to hold a 20 plus pound turkey, and then make sure that it will fit in your oven.

A rule of thumb is 15 minutes per lb of turkey,which means about 5 hrs for a 20 lb bird, unstuffed. Probably six, stuffed. For our turkey buffets at HQ we would put six frozen 25 lb turkeys, covered tightly w/ foil, in a 275 degree oven at midnight and pull them at 7 AM and they would be perfect.That's pretty easy.Never even pulled the giblets( couldn't- frozen).

At home I season the hormone plumped bird w/ salt, pepper and garlic, cover loosely w/ foil and roast at 325 degrees.I have done cajun seasoning, and others, but really, that spice doesn't penetrate the skin any way so why bother( same w/ basting), because to really season the bird you must season it under the skin, which is very very good - best chicken I've ever had was stuffed b/w the skin and breast w/ lots of garlic, butter, and thyme.Do add water - 2 cups to start, and about half way thru roasting, make sure there is still water in there and add more and also add cut up carrots, celery and onions,and whole cloves of garlic. They add a depth and sweetness of flavor to the turkey stock in the pan, which is what you'll be making the gravy with.

Vivian Clark, Messy News Girl said...

Thank you Captain!
That is a good start.
I bought the bird - 22 pounds, actually. I think I have a roasting pan big enough. The cover will not fit, tho, so I will need to use foil. Because, YOU are saying cover the bird. Someone else said, don't cover the bird. But then, she is not a world famous Chef. Just a grandma. And has cooked at least 25 thanksgiving dinners.
I also bought a little foil pan, just in case the big bird doesn't fit in the roaster I have.
So, if I stuff the bird, it will actually add more flavor as it cooks from the inside? Sounds logical.
I will be going back to the grocery store to get a few more things - like more foil.
And I think I will need more wine.

Connie Mae said...

Viv - you are too hard on yourself! I for one know that you are a good cook! I have had many of your wonderful meals. And they have not been pizza or a salad. You make the best wild rice soup that I have ever had. Your Sweet Potato1s are pretty darn good too. As for the Green Bean Salad, there is a reason that your family always asks you to bring it. It is Good! There never is any left at the end of the meal or very little for round two later in the evening.

Viv, I know that your Thanksgiving Dinner will be fine. I wish that I could be there to enjoy it this year with you. But, I'll just listen for the smoke alarm to sound and know that you are cooking. (not really).

Vivian Clark, Messy News Girl said...

Thanks, Connie!