Friday, September 21, 2007

Weekend buzz blog

It is time for the weekend buzz — another work in progress for me guaranteed to get nothing but better as time goes on.

This weekend I will be broadening my horizons and exploring a venue of music I have to admit, I don't know much about. I will be covering the Reggae Festival held at Jacks on Mille Lacs. The festival runs from today, Friday, Sept. 21 through Sunday, Sept. 23.

I like the music of Bob Marley, so if this festival is anything like his Jamacian sound, I am in for a treat. If not, I have exposed myself to something new. Either way, I will be sure to tell you all about it as soon as I can.

There will be bands with names like Zion Tribe, Jon Wayne and the Pain, the Limns and Hydoponic Party Pants.

Some of them claim their reggae style has roots in rock, funk, hip-hop, soul and even physilla-phycha-funka-della-regga-hipa-hopin-blues. What that means, I have no idea, but it sounds intriguing doesn't it?

I am looking forwad to bumping into a gal I met at Log Jam last August. Her name is Celestial and said some friends of hers will be fire dancing at the reggae gig this weekend. She explained fire dancing to me and it certainly aroused my curiosity. Perhaps I will even give it a try myself. Or maybe not. Either case it is sure to light up the night.

So folks, if you are not into reggae there are some other venues offering live entertainment around the lake this weekend. I looked through this weeks copy of the Messenger and found Work Release is playing at the Blue Goose in Garrison on Friday and Saturday nights. On the other side of the lake at MSA Sound Wave will take the stage both nights this weekend as well. That's all I found for live music. If you hear of anything, let me know.

Check back to see if I tried my hand at fire dancing and get the buzz on the festival and other weekend entertainment.

Be safe and have a great weekend!

No comments: